Public consultation on the draft BEREC Guidelines detailing Quality of Service Parameters (BoR (23) 179)
09 October 2023
According to Article 4 of the BEREC Regulation, BEREC shall issue guidelines on the implementation of the European Union regulatory framework for electronic communications, as referred to in Directive (EU) 2018/1972 (EECC), on, among other things, relevant quality of service (QoS) parameters the applicable measurement methods, the content and format of publication of the information, and quality certification mechanisms, in accordance with Article 104 of EECC.
In this context, in 2020 BEREC issued Guidelines detailing QoS parameters (hereafter Guidelines) to provide guidance to National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) with respect to Article 104 of the EECC, taking into account, where appropriate, the parameters, definitions and measurement methods set out in Annex X. Section 7 of the previous Guidelines lays down a review period to commence 2 years from their adoption and publication. On that basis, BEREC is revising the Guidelines.
The rationale for initially issuing the Guidelines as well as their update is to provide guidance to NRAs in respect to Article 104 of the EECC and to contribute to the consistent application of Article 104(2) and Annex X, with the aim of defining:
1. The relevant QoS parameters in relation to Interpersonal Communications Services (ICS) and Internet Access Service (IAS),
2. The parameters relevant for end-users with disabilities,
3. The applicable measurement methods for these QoS parameters, including, where appropriate, the ETSI and ITU standards set out in Annex X of the EECC in relation to ICS and IAS, respectively,
4. The content and format of the QoS information to be published, and
5. Possible quality certification mechanisms.
BEREC would welcome stakeholders' views in relation to any of the material presented in the report, and specifically feedback on the questions raised below would be highly appreciated.
Questions on GL on QoS parameters:
1) Do the existing Guidelines detailing Quality of Service (QoS) parameters assist stakeholders? Are there any challenges to implementing the Guidelines?
2) Which points in the Guidelines could be more detailed or clarified?
3) Which parameters, listed, or even not listed, in Annex X of EECC, mostly assist end-users in evaluating the quality of service?
4) Do you have any other relevant comment?
Practical details of the public consultation
The public consultation will run from 9 October until 10 November 2023.
All stakeholders are invited to submit their contributions to the following e-mail address:
Further enquiries about the consultation may also be submitted to this address.
After submitting the contribution, an automatic acknowledgment email will be sent to you.
Contributions should be sent preferably in English and, in order to facilitate processing of the responses, the comments provided should clearly refer to the certain paragraphs/guideline of the document.
We strongly encourage all stakeholders to submit their contributions as early as possible. Contributions received after the above mentioned deadline will not be taken into account.
In accordance with the BEREC policy on public consultations, BEREC will publish a summary of all received contributions, respecting confidentiality requests. Any such requests should clearly indicate which information is considered confidential and be accompanied by a non-confidential version.